Every Wednesday throughout the year at 6:30pm, AREC provides set routes through the Long Beach Marina and Naples of 3.3 miles and 5.0 miles, starting and finishing at Buster's Beach House (168 N. Marina Drive) in the Alamitos Bay Landing for walkers and runners of all ages and abilities. It is a fantastic opportunity to break up the work week, stay motivated, lace up the shoes for a good workout and socialize with a bunch of great people!
Questions You May Have:
- How many people show up?
- Attendance consistently averages 75+, with over 100 people on special run nights.
- Is everyone really fast?
- The really fast runners are in the minority. Many walkers, joggers, and middle-of-the-packers come out each week, and with the large attendance, there will nearly always be someone that goes at your pace.
- Can I just show up?
- Absolutely, no need to let us know first.
- Can I bring friends?
- What time should I arrive?
- Get there a bit early to park, use the restroom, warm up and stretch, and meet some people.
- Where do I park?
- Please park in the lot by the Crab Pot restaurant (across the street) to leave spaces open for non-running patrons of the other establishments.
- Are the courses safe?
- Yes, they are, but it is up to each individual to be smart out there. We encourage running facing traffic and in groups when possible, while discouraging ear-bud use with iPods and mp3 players.
- Do you run when it rains?
- Sure, a little water won't hurt you. Just bring a towel and some dry clothes to change into.
- Do you run when it's dark?
- During non-Daylight Saving times, it is usually dark when we start at 6:30pm. So yes, we run, but with even greater safety in mind. Light colored clothing, reflective vests and flashing lights are strongly recommended in the dark.
- Do you run when it's cold?
- If we run when it's dark and raining, then um... yes, even when it's cold.
- Is this really fun?
- That is why everyone keeps coming back! Many stick around after the run for food and/or drinks in Buster's bar area to take advantage of happy hour prices extended just for us. The atmosphere is casual and always fun!
This page created on March 4, 2010 and updated on March 20, 2010 by ED Rahl.